Sunday, September 12, 2010

ode to husband

i could live by myself
in a bungalow for one
away on an island
alone in the sun
relaxing all day
with a book in my hand
i'd dream and i'd draw
hearts in the sand

i could live with him
in an apartment for two
with a floor full of books
and a closet without shoes
the shoes they would lay
about on the floor
despite all the opening
and closing of doors

i could live by myself
in a suite in paris
with a kitchen filled with fruit
and a pot filled with tea
i would shop in girl shops
buying parasols and such
impractical things
never to use much
but it would be fun and
no one would care
if my style and
my life were very tres cher. 

i could live with him
in an apartment for two
with dishes meant for washing
laundry, clothes, too.
With talking real loud
with a booming strong voice
i could live with him
in all of that noise.
With a bed never made
unless its by me &
with the sink filled with food
he thought i wouldn't see. . .

From red meat and sports
I would rarely depart
but without all of this
i would have half a heart.

my heart that gave up on living
for just me
my heart that gave up on a
suite in paris
no bungalow for one
no peace to be found
but in the apartment for two
there is joy all around. 
i'll take it.
that's mine.
sold, sealed and signed.
no turning back now
there's no changing my mind.
give me that joy.
i'll drink it all up.
your love i'll take it
in that giant coffee cup.

1 comment: